Alamo Heights | Central San Antonio | Chuck Nall San Antonio Premier Group
Alamo Heights became a municipality on June 20, 1922, but with no city charter and a government that consisted of a mayor, five aldermen and a town marshal. The population stood at about 3,000 in an area that extended only as far north as Tuxedo Avenue. Bluebonnet Hills was annexed in 1928 and Sylvan Hills completed the current northern boundary when it was annexed in 1944.
From its earliest days, the city government focused on providing modern services without destroying the character of Alamo Heights as a residential area. Ordinances restricted business activity to those that provided convenience for residents and limited businesses to defined districts. Building and zoning codes restricted buildings to two stories and assured open spaces, natural light and greenery.
Later years saw the expansion of recreational facilities with the construction of the swimming pool in 1947 and addition of nature trails in Olmos Basin in 1965. But throughout its development, Alamo Heights maintained its character as a residential community that changed gracefully.
Historian T.R. Fehrenbach characterized the city by saying, "Alamo Heights, whatever else it is, reflects three qualities: good government, stable neighborhoods and a feeling of intimacy." It has a character that goes back to its beginning as the home of George Brackenridge and Charles Anderson who loved its hills, beautiful trees and twisting roads.
Alamo HeightsChange this Search Criteria
Data may not be reproduced or redistributed and may not be used for any purpose other than individual consumer's use.